I was reminded earlier today that many people don’t know where to turn for resources about guardianship in South Carolina. Cue Frequently Asked Questions in Probate Court.
In September 2013, the South Carolina Supreme Court posted three Frequently Asked Questions to the Self-Help Resources page on its website, http://www.sccourts.org/selfHelp/index.cfm:
(1) Alternatives to Guardianship – http://www.sccourts.org/selfHelp/FAQsAlternativesToGuardianshipSC.pdf
(2) From a Potential Caregiver or Potential Guardian – http://www.sccourts.org/selfHelp/FAQsFromACaregiver.pdf
(3) From a Ward – http://www.sccourts.org/selfHelp/FAQsFromAWard.pdf
(4) NOTE: There are also videos about both Guardianship and Conservatorship in South Carolina. While they were produced a few years back, the law is still good.
These should be helpful. Additionally, a few other relevant links are listed below:
- South Carolina Law Help Health Care Decisions (found under Senior Services, but applies to people with disabilities) http://www.lawhelp.org/sc/issues/senior-citizens/control-over-health-care-decisions-living-wil
- South Carolina Senior Citizens’ Handbook, especially the section on guardianship and conservatorship, also applies to people with disabilities. http://www.scbar.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=hhnSm9nfCpg%3d&tabid=204