Every now and again, I need a reminder to share information.
Earlier today, I received a request from someone desperately trying to find out where to find help for an expungement. And, the resource is below:
- Your Guide to Expungement in South Carolina (updated in November 2013). This fabulous, free resource was pulled together by the South Carolina Center for Fathers and Families. It can be found online at http://www.scfathersandfamilies.com/public/files/docs/Nov2013UpdatedGuide.pdf. It basically walks folks through expungement (Step 4) while letting them know whether expungement is a possibility (Step 3) and, if so, which one to go for.
If you want additional information on expungement and pardons, below are also some helpful links:
- The South Carolina Courts Expungements and Pardons FAQ www.sccourts.org/selfHelp/FAQExpungementPardon.pdf
- The South Carolina Bar Expungements and Pardons FAQwww.scbar.org/PublicServices/ExpungementandPardons.aspx
To find legal help or a lawyer:
- South Carolina Legal Services, Toll Free: 888-346-5592, Phone: 803-744-9430, Fax: 803-744-9450, www.sclegal.org
- The South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral System, 800-868-2284, www.scbar.org/publicservices/findalawyer.aspx
To find more information on the legal system in South Carolina
- The South Carolina Judicial Department, www.sccourts.org
- Law Help for South Carolina, www.lawhelp.org/SC
To get a copy of your criminal record
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) Records Department, Post Office Box 21398, Columbia, SC 29221, 803-896-1443, www.sled.sc.gov
- SLED’s FAQ on Criminal Records and Expungement, www.sled.sc.gov/documents/CJIS/RecordsCheck&ExpungementFAQ.pdf
To find more information on expungement, pardons, or other issues relating to fatherhood
- The South Carolina Center for Fathers and Families, 2711 Middleburg Drive, Suite 111, Columbia, SC 29204, 803-227-8800, www.scfathersandfamilies.com
Sometimes all it takes is a little knowledge. Hope this helps.